In my defense, our middle kitten B has started CCD, and his official education in the catholic church has begun. As part of his education, I like to make sure our children participate in mass by singing, and reading prayers aloud. You should be aware that we attend a teeny tiny church, where we sit right up front, with no choir. Therefore, everyone MUST sing. Everyone except my very cool husband...and of course now, my son.
As I noticed that my son (who is supposed to be learning and participating in mass) is not singing, I hand a prayer card to my husband and quietly whisper "help him sing." Father Rex, looks right at me, and I think in my pompous head that he must totally approve of what I am doing. Never-mind that he is leading an entire congregation in mass. I am certain that I just earned the equivalent of an adult A+. While I am gloating in my head (though I should be focused on singing a prayer) I glance to my left and notice that my son is not singing.
So, I ever so gently, with maybe a teeny bit more urgency, whisper just a little louder "Please help him sing." Here is where it gets weird. My husband looks at me with a crazy startled look, and whispers "I got it, he is singing" while motioning "calm the F down" with his hands. I am shocked...cause I am pretty sure I just got shushed. When I glance up I notice Father Rex glance at me and then quickly look away, like he is slightly embarrassed for me, or my husband...I can't really tell. I don't think I need to say that I am pissed.
But, I am in church. So I have to think about love and kindness and forgiveness. Meanwhile Father Rex is prattling on about how women were made from man, and that we are meant to be friends with our spouses, and to be a good friend to our spouse, we first, need to be a good friend to God. Sounds good right? Yes.
No, because the only thing I am thinking in my head is "LIAR, LIAR, LIAR...HE WAS NOT SINGING!!!" I am seriously angry and just hating on my husband, thinking how can he possibly lie so easily right here in front of God? And then, oh yeah, God probably isn't really thrilled with my behavior right now either.
Whatever. He was not singing. Pray on that.
No comments:
Post a Comment