Friday, September 7, 2012

So, what do you do?

Not so long ago, someone asked me what I did for a living. I told him happily that I am a stay at home mom. He responded "That is a shame, you seem like such a smart woman, and you aren't contributing anything to society!" I was stunned. I could only look at him with a blank stare on my face while silently choking back my rage.

I am here to tell you that I fully support each families decision to raise their children however they see fit. I applaud working parents that somehow juggle it all, I support my fellow stay at home parents that do what I do, and I flat out swoon over working single parents, that have no choice in the matter, yet go out and make that shit happen every day. We are all doing the very best we can for our children, each and every one of us.

Now here is my response to the "gentleman" that feels I contribute nothing to society.

Dear Sir,

I am sure you did not mean to offend me when you gave your opinion about how I contribute nothing to society. The fact remains that I am shaping young minds on a daily basis.

I am the parent that sits at the homework table making sure my children not only do it all, but understand completely the lesson that the teacher taught in class...see that there, I'm contributing to my child's education.
I am the parent that volunteers in the classroom, not just for fieldtrips, but to help students with their small reading groups, organize homework, quiz students on math facts, and sometimes CLEAN the classroom...see that there I am contributing to YOUR child's education.
I am the parent that helps out in the library, at recess, and wherever else I am needed to fill in because our aides have been cut...see that there I am contributing to fixing the budget shortfall.
I am the parent that applauds for ALL CHILDREN when they receive an award so that they know there is an adult that has seen their achievement, and recognizes how hard they worked to reach their goals (I have many pictures on my camera of other people's children holding up awards so that they can be emailed later to parents that would have loved to have been at the awards ceremony, but were unable to get away)...see that there I am contributing to YOU and YOUR child's mental and emotional health.
I am the parent that drives the car to and from activities loaded with other people's children. You would be amazed at the glimpse of their world that I learn about, I know who is dealing with divorce, who is losing their home, who has had a loved one die recently, and who and what our children are afraid of...see that there I am contributing to society by being a support and helping them deal with difficult life issues...a rolling therapy session!
I am the resident that is at home during the day to notice that a strange car is in our neighborhood or  that an elderly neighbor hasn't stuck to their regular routine...see that there I am contributing to our communities safety and well being.
I am the "smart woman" that has chosen to stay home and be with my children because it works for our family...see that there I am allowing someone else the opportunity to have a job, because lets face it, if I was interviewing for it, the job would be mine!

Saying that all I do is stay home all day and clean house and cook, is grossly oversimplifying what I do. It would be akin to saying that all people do that work in an office is talk on the phone and send emails. Yes, it is part of what you do, but certainly not all of it! We ALL contribute to society, and we should be mindful that just because something works for one family does not mean that it is a better, or more appropriate way to live.

You sir are an ass.

Whew, I feel better already!

No comments:

Post a Comment